Saturday, July 18, 2009

Spoilt rotten

So it's the school holidays. The day of the promised sleepover loomed. Two nephews aged 9 and 11 together with my girls aged 3 and 4 - phew, I'm exhausted just thinking about it!


They arrived on Friday morning - me still in my dressing gown.

I spent the morning preparing a picnic lunch then we strolled down to our own little part of the bush known as Girrahween Park, only a 10 minute walk from our house. How lovely it was to sit and eat our sandwiches with the sounds and smells of the bush around us! After a short little bush walk we returned home and I finished of my fantastic new skirt that I've been working on, while my girls happily played with their cousins (yay - no constant interruptions).





I cannot tell you how much I am loving this skirt. I bought the beautiful corduroy back here finally picked up a pattern which was exactly what I wanted (A-line, pockets, zip at back) last week. It was a very easy pattern and I really love the finished product! I convinced my nephew to take afew shots of me, a little blurry but you get the picture.


Today we spent the morning making a scrumptious Apple and Strawberry Crumble. This is another of the recipe's in my repertoire which is delicious, easy and allergy friendly - mmmm. This is how to make it:




Heat in a saucepan 4 peeled, cored and chopped apples with 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup water and 1 tsp cinnamon. Heat with lid on for 15 mins over low heat until the apple is soft. Stir in a punnet of chopped strawberries. In a mixer blend one cup of rolled oats with 1/2 cup brown sugar and 100g margarine. Fill the bottoms of individual ceramic pots or a single oven dish with the apple mixture and top with the oat mixture. Bake in a moderate oven for 15 mins. Serve with cream, ice-cream or custard.


Tonight, a complete change of pace, my darling husband and I are going out sans children (sleepover at Nanna's) for dinner and then a ghost tour of the Rocks. Can't wait. All in all this has shaped up to be a very satisfactory weekend so far......

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a you've had nice holiday so fair

    ReplyDelete
  2. That skirt is absolutely gorgeous - it has all my favourite things - pockets and corduroy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fran, that skirt looks fantastic! well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Fran

    The skirt you've made looks fantastic!

    I'm definately making your apple and strawberry crumble too...I think I'll make it tomorrow :)

    Thanks for all your great comments on my Buttonheads, it's nice to know I'm not the only one who likes them ;)

    Hope you enjoyed your grown-up night out.

    Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  5. That all sounds wonderful. The skirt looks great and I loved seeing all the pots lined up, are they growing herbs?
    I like your new header photos too, Fran, great colours!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts, you've just made my day!