Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Free at last


Free from the mind numbing sheer bordom I experienced over the past few weeks trying to get this blanket finished. 

I kid you not, I started this blanket when I was about eight years old.  It's actually how I learnt to crochet.  Each winter I would pull it out and add a few more rows.


Then for some reason afew years ago I started another blanket using the same colours (I know - I don't know what possessed me).  The colours where chosen by my mother all those years ago.  She professes to love the colour brown and when she saw this finished blanket the other day she oooohed and ahhhhed over it! 

Anyway once that one was finished I gave it to Miss A to use on her bed in winter (it fits nicely on a single bed).  So of course Miss B wanted one too.  That's when I pulled out the original blanket to finish off for her.  Needless to say I couldn't match the wool colours 24 years later hence the multi coloured yarn. 

I have progressed to more complicated stitches and patterns since beginning this blanket way back when, so this repetitive, humongous granny square was B. O. R. I. N. G.  But with tunnel vision and persistence I got there and am very pleased to say that little Miss B loves it - thank God for that!

I've also been spending some time working on Miss B's quilt.  I was somewhat inspired by a Soulemama post regarding the making of a quilt for her daughters birthday.  A quilt that had been waiting to be made for the past 2 years.  And so I made a little pact myself and committed to working at least a little on Miss B's quilt every day.

All 24 squares are finished, I now need to edge each with the white sheeting and then put it all together.


So far so good.......

ps - Sorry about the less then impressive pictures.  My poor camera is slowly dying and the photo quality has been getting progressively worse over the last few months.  A new one is definately on the cards.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely blankets! i have to say I have always struggled with crochet because it feels like more of the same. That said though, your daughters will treasure those blankets forever and they will probably become heirlooms. Loving the mauve and yellow quilt too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts, you've just made my day!