Tuesday, December 7, 2010

One per month - November


Last night, as I was hammering away on the sewing machine making library bags for some lovely little kiddies I know as per last year, it suddenly dawned on me that I hadn't posted my November One per Month project.  Ooooooooops! 

It dawned on me because I have once again used the Library Tote pattern from the book The Crafter's Companion, which I was lucky enough to win in a giveaway Cass had recently.  And it just so happens that this is the book I chose for my November project. 

I had been contemplating what I could make as a gift for Miss A's teacher and also something I could make afew of to have on hand for last minute gifts.  I wanted to make something quite practical and useful. 

I settled on the Market Bag. 
The fabric - I used (from my stash) two fat quarters from the Wildwood collection by Erin McMorris for the outer of the bag and some Ikea fabric for the lining and handles.


The bag was simple to make but I have to say, for me, a bit of a largish and awkward size. 

Perhaps my biggest mistake was to double the length of the handles. 
I did this because I can't stand bags which are hard to sling over your shoulder.  But due to the large size of the tote, in hindsight, shorter handles probably do suit this bag better.  One good thing about the longer handles is that I can wear it across my shoulder allowing greater mobility when chasing the kids around while we're out and about.

Also, the design includes a nifty little pocket on the inside top of the bag.  This has a double use, acting as a pocket while your using the bag but when you're finished with it, you can roll the bag up and squish it into the pocket to put away. 
I found that this pocket could be a little smaller, so that when the bag is folded up and put away it wouldn't take up too much room say in your handbag. 
As it is, I would just find it too big to carry around all the time.

So after I finished making it, I decided I wasn't happy enough with it to give as a gift.  So I put it away and promptly forgot about it until last night.

I still think it will make a great gift, so I will tweak it abit and make afew more.

So there we have it.  One more One Per Month to go and God only knows what it will be.  I am so flat chat at the moment, what with, you know.........the end of year and all that.  But I'm too close to completing this challenge I set myself now to give up so we'll see!

1 comment:

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts, you've just made my day!