Afew weeks back I signed up to make a block for the 65 Roses Quilt Project. I enjoyed the process so much I ended up making three blocks, each embelished with a different rose motif.
For the first one I used a lace trim rose I made some time back when I was just playing around with learning different techniques. I had afew bits of lace trim laying about so I ran a gathering stitch along one edge and gathered it up to make the rose. I think it looks lovely, but it just sat there on my sewing table............obviously waiting for the right project to come along.
The second block I embelished with a felt rose using the design provided by Kathreen. I've been wanting to have a go at using felt for a while now, so I went all out and bought umpteen different shades of wool blend felt to play around with. After choosing four shades of pink/red I used a simple running stitch in a lighter shade of embroidery thread to hold it all together.
For the third block I decided to pull out my cross-stitch supplies which have been packed away for a good four or so years and have a go at stitching straight onto the cotton fabric, something I've never done before (I've always used Aida cloth). I searched around amongst my magazines for a nice rose pattern and went for it.
It's far from perfect, but I'm happy with it.
I popped them in the post today so hopefully they will reach Kathleen safely by the deadline of January 20th. I really enjoyed participating in this project and I achieved the aim which I went into it with, which was to challenge myself to try out some new crafting techniques as well as doing something for a good cause!