Tuesday, October 27, 2009

little patchwork, big patchwork


I spent the best part of ALL of yesterday making this patchwork quilt.  Made entirely from vintage bed linen I've had in my stash for quite awhile.  Unfortunatey the overcast conditions do not make for good picture taking and these photo's just don't do the fabrics any justice.

I had originally planned to make a quilt out of 6 inch squares but really wanted a nice 'quick' project (as opposed to the saga of Miss B's quilt which has been going for at least 6 months now).  I remembered seeing Amanda's Beach Blanket to go on her blog so loosely based my version on hers.
 

I have not yet bought Handmade Home (it's on my wishlist) so just made up my own dimensions. 
The quilt measures 60" x 60", made up of 15 rectangles measuring 12' x 20" each.  It is backed with a vintage bedsheet I couldn't bear to cut up and the binding, made by moi using a 1" bias tape maker,  is also made from an old bedsheet.  This was the first time I have made bias binding this way and I am a total convert!  There is no batting between the layers.  I got my walking foot out for the first time in about 5 years and simply stitched in the ditch just to hold it all together.  I even just zigzaged the binding on to save time. 


See the lovely backing!



Here's Miss A having her first sewing lesson.  Helping me out with the quilt.   I started at about 10 o'clock in the morning and finished it just after midnight.  I was determined to make the whole thing in a day!


I also did a little sewing on Saturday arvo, making this cute little belt for Miss B in about half an hour.  From the pattern Belt it Out in Pretty Little Patchwork I adjusted the measurements to suit a 1" D-ring.  Miss B chose all the fabrics herself from my stash and she has hardly had it off since I finished it!


Last but not least a lovely flash of colour on these rather drab, rainy days we've been having here in Sydney.  How I do love my lovely little sweetpeas...............

5 comments:

  1. The quilt looks great. I have a stash of vintage pillow cases I might use for something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a beautiful blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come over to my blog and visit my sweet pea jungle! They have never been so deliciously crazy before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Extremely nice...and the fact that you are introducing the art of stitching to the child is amazing.

    quilt

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts, you've just made my day!